philosophy at age eight


“If you cannot control your peanut butter, you cannot expect to control your life.”
~ Judah-ism

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

the importance of being earnest

I voted yesterday to protect the rights of domestic partners in Washington State, among other things.

I vote to protect my rights and those around me whom those in power would do their best to disenfranchise, to keep the consolidation of power right where they want it. I wish every woman would do the same.



Look at the courage of this woman, alone in a sea of unfriendly looking men, demanding her right to vote.


I am in awe. I dream of the chance to see a similar courage from my fellow American women in the difficult times ahead: demanding equal health care coverage; equal pay for equal work; a re-visioning of the American work-week to address the new reality of over 50% of workers being women, and many, many of them mothers who still face unequal--and as-yet unpaid--demands of work at homes; reproductive freedom and all that entails; equal representation and thereby say in the American government; and last but not-at-all least, real and measurable help for our sisters around the world who experience a life with countless more hardships, terror and inequalities.

Have you seen Iron Jawed Angels, yet? This movie is the true story of Alice Paul, one of the leaders of the American women's suffrage movement that finally ended in my right to vote. After understanding the bare minimum of the pain that they endured to secure this right of mine, I can no more shrug it off or "not bother" than I could spit in their faces.

No comments: