philosophy at age eight


“If you cannot control your peanut butter, you cannot expect to control your life.”
~ Judah-ism

Saturday, July 30, 2011

collision of two beautiful things

Anne of Green Gables, the anime
I just learned there is a Japanese anime of Anne of Green Gables, which Hayao Miyazaki did the scene design & layout for.  All I want to know is:  How have I missed this? I named my daughter after that adorable red-head, and if I was still bearing children after discovering Hayao Miyazaki, I can't say for sure what might have happened. ;)

Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, even Ponyo... he has built worlds that I want nothing more than to just lose myself in.

A couple of the reasons Hayao Miyazaki's work will always be so magical to me:

Quotes from Miyazaki:
I'm not going to make movies that tell children, "You should despair and run away".

Personally I am very pessimistic. But when, for instance, one of my staff has a baby you can't help but bless them for a good future. Because I can't tell that child, "Oh, you shouldn't have come into this life." And yet I know the world is heading in a bad direction. So with those conflicting thoughts in mind, I think about what kind of films I should be making.

Well, yes. I believe that children's souls are the inheritors of historical memory from previous generations. It's just that as they grow older and experience the everyday world that memory sinks lower and lower. I feel I need to make a film that reaches down to that level. If I could do that I would die happy.

My daughter and I will simply have to see what can be done about getting our hands on a copy of this. <3

No comments: