philosophy at age eight


“If you cannot control your peanut butter, you cannot expect to control your life.”
~ Judah-ism

Saturday, November 27, 2010

wherein i'm delighted and traumatized

Thursday's mini-Thanksgiving for those in the family who couldn't make today's big, formal Thanksgiving at my sister's house went off spectacularly well. I ended up making great mashed potatoes, if I do say myself (and I will!), mom brought yummy pies and Mary brought a feast! Turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes and wine... and 6 crabs, many of which were left over (because crab doesn't seem to be how my family rocks. What can I say.) 

Mary had the forethought to record the sibs playing "Creep" by Radiohead, later in the evening when we inevitably wandered downstairs to see what Johnny and Jesse were up to. Jesse on the drums, Johnny on guitar and Emily singing.  This was on request, and Johnny's never played it before... but I thought they did spectacularly.  I love Em's voice.



Also amazing is that she can sing like that on a full stomach.


E&O singing "No-one" by Alicia Keys
Jesse on drums
M&E singing


Johnny singing requests
  ~ * ~
In the end, there was lots of crab left over, and Mary left a good plate piled high for us. I spent hours yesterday shelling my first ever crab without any of the necessary utensils, much to my consternation; my daughter was frozen a couple yards away from me with her face in a grimace, unwilling to abandon me to the trauma of dissecting corpses on my own ("Can I get a wet rag?! Ugh!" & "Um. Do we have any wrenches?") but barely able to suppress her gorge at the smell and sight of it. I can only imagine the content of her furious texting with friends during those hours. But we lived, minus a little skin on my fingers, and today... we make crab pot stickers, Mmmmm! 

And now? Off to do it once more.

No comments: